Skip to main content
LGBTQA banner

How to Change Preferred First Name and Professor Information

How To Change Preferred First Name in Banner

  • Log in to MyUSU
  • Click on Banner
  • View/Edit Personal Information
  • This will bring you to a new page where you can click on “Change your preferred first name”

Note that this will not change the name appearing on class rosters or your student ID card.

Inform Your Professors of Your Preferences

If you would like to inform your professors of your preferred name and gender pronouns, below is a sample letter that can be used:

Dear [insert appropriate title and professor's name],

I am a student in your [insert class name and time]. The purpose of this email is to inform you of something I would like you to know about me before the semester begins. I am getting in contact with you to let you know that I identify as transgender. What that means to me is….

My name will probably show up on your roster as [birth name], but I would prefer to go by [preferred name here] and to be referred to with [preferred] pronouns. I would appreciate it if you called me [preferred name] in class. If you have any questions for me regarding this, please don't hesitate to contact me. Also, if you have any further questions feel free to contact Macy Keith, the LGBTQA Program Coordinator Thank you for your understanding.

[Signature and A#]

If you would like further assistance in contacting your professors or have questions please contact Macy Keith at, 435-797-1164